A few days ago I heard this piece on NPR that struck a chord. Entitled, "I Love to Shop, But Do I Have a Shopping Problem?," this piece mainly caught my attention because of the advice a psychologist gave regarding compulsive buying.
Before making a purchase, she suggested asking yourself the following questions:
"Why am I here?
How do I feel?
Do I need this?
What if I wait?
How will I pay for it?
And where will I put it?"
She said that if you can answer those questions, preferably in writing, it's probably not a compulsive purchase.
The question that hits home the most with me is, "And where will I put it?" Our tiny apartment is bursting at the seams. I found myself consciously making Christmas gift decisions this year based on if we have a place to set it once it's been opened and "oohed and ahhed" at.
I hope to keep this questions in mind the next time I feel the need to fill the void with a purchase.
One twenty-something's struggle to kick her spending habit and live life simply and to the fullest.
Sunday, December 22, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
No comments :
Post a Comment